Hydrocele Repair - Child Post-op Instructions
Your child may take part in quiet activities. More vigorous activities like bike riding or swimming should be discouraged for one (1) week.
- If there is a gauze dressing over the incision, leave it in place for 48-72 hours.
- Try not to get the incision wet for three (3) days
- Your child will have absorbable stitches.
The Doctor will write a prescription for Tylenol with codeine elixir. A pharmacist will review the instructions with you before you leave.
Your child’s stomach may be upset from the anesthesia. Give your child foods as he can tolerate them. First, offer clear liquids (ice chips, popsicles, 7-up, Jell-O). Next, offer foods that are easy to digest like soda crackers or dry white toast. A regular diet is usually tolerated the day after surgery. If any point your child has nausea or vomiting, then start back with clear liquids.
Call the Doctor If…
- Your child has persistent vomiting
- Incision becomes red, warm, or swollen
- Pus like drainage seeps from incision
- Increased swelling of scrotum or testicle
- Bleeding more than slight spotting
- Temperature over 101° F
If these symptoms occur after office hours, the doctor on call may be reached by calling the same numbers.
Contact us to request an appointment or ask a question. We're here for you.