Circumcision Child Postop Instructions
- After anesthesia, begin with clear liquids. Avoid any heavy meals on the day of the procedure. Depending on how you feel the following day, you may resume the diet you normally follow.
- Do not shower or bathe until 48 hours after surgery. (May take sponge bath before then.)
- You do not need any specific medication unless you have been given a prescription by your doctor.
- Take Tylenol (10 mg per kg of weight or approximately 5 mg per pound) every 3-4 hours as needed for pain.
It will be normal to have bruising and moderate swelling near the circumcision site that can last up to a week.
- There may be a Vaseline dressing placed around the circumcision site. This should be removed the day after surgery. If the Vaseline dressing becomes dislodged before that, it does not need to be replaced. It is not necessary to place any creams or ointments over the incision site.
- Plan to make an office follow-up visit in one week. Call for an appointment.
- The sutures used for the circumcision will dissolve on their own over the next two to three weeks. There may be some redness and irritation as they do.
Contact us to request an appointment or ask a question. We're here for you.